Popular Posts (All Time)

Popular Posts (Last Month)

Popular Posts (Last Week)

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Singapore Supertrees by myspacetom



One night in Singapore I set out to cross the bridge directly outside the Marina Bay Sands hotel (pictured in the background here). Off in the distance I could see the Gardens by the Bay featuring these 50 meter tall "trees" -- called "Supertrees". It was quite late as I began my stroll in the balmy evening, and the eeriest sounds and noises were wafting through the air. Gradually the John Cage-like sounds became louder and then more musical. The effect was avant-garde and otherworldly. It helped that almost no one was around... Everything was so alien, so strange. I started to think to myself how awesome it was that such a public works project could exist and marveled at how truly "out there" the music was... Just the opposite of the sort of cheesy soundtrack you might expect in a theme park or government funded botanical garden (which is what this place is). By the time I'd finally arrived under the trees, I discovered two guys hunched over a keyboard, mixing desk, computer and other electronic devices I could not figure out. Long cables and wires ran into the base of one of the trees. It turns out they were "composing" a sound and light show, and the strangeness of the music was mostly because I was just hearing bits of it, note by note, piece by piece... I'm sure the final product was wonderful, but I wish you all could have heard what I heard while these two fellows created such a memorable experience for me and the 2 or 3 other people milling about. I'll never forget it :) via 500px http://j.mp/1tlFL0b

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive