Popular Posts (All Time)

Popular Posts (Last Month)

Popular Posts (Last Week)

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Kalapana Creep by TedGore



Find me on facebook and Flickr Interested in learning how I process? Get more info at my website. An older shot from my 2013 trip to Hawaii's big island. I recently demonstrated the processing of this shot to a client, so I thought I would refresh the processing on it. Sadly, the lava flow is currently wreaking havoc on the small community of Pahoa on the big island. A huge inconvenience for residences, as many will lose their homes. Thoughts and prayers to those affected. The Kalapana lava flow entering the ocean on the big island of Hawaii just before sunrise. Surface flow breakouts glow red hot as they creep towards the ocean entry point, resembling a fire-filled dragon, just waking from slumber. See it? Volcanic fumes billow out of the water from the lava coming into contact with the ocean. Being here on this morning, experiencing the danger I knew was before me, is one of the most frightening feelings I ever remember having. Went out with Bruce Omori of Extreme Exposures, and he had many tales of close calls from out here! I had a hard time concentrating on shooting photography! Shoes melting, smelling the rubber, feeling the heat on your feet, wearing a gas mask so you don't die from breathing toxic fumes... all make for a pretty unforgettable experience.Luckily, Bruce really knows what he is doing and was keeping my out of harms way. If you go to the big island, Extreme Exposures are the guys to call! Single exposure with stars subtly added in from an exposure earlier via 500px http://j.mp/1GjPZTw

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive